American Cars Importers to Australia
Importing a car from the USA to Australia requires a number of conditions that need to be met before the car passes through customs. The Australian government requires certain compliance steps that must be taken before the delivery of the car is handed over to the intended owner.
Immigrating to Australia with your car
The Australian government has set up an import permit just for your scenario if you’re moving to Australia. You can only import one vehicle every five years under the Personal Import Scheme if you have lived abroad for more than a year and have owned your car for at least a year.
Due to a free trade agreement between Australia and the USA, it is possible to import vehicles made in the USA, such as cars and trucks, into Australia without having to pay any import taxes.
How to import a car from the USA to Australia
Importing cars from the USA to Australia involves several steps and adherence to specific requirements to ensure compliance with regulations and customs procedures. Here is a general outline of the process:
- Research and Compliance:
- Verify that the car you intend to import complies with Australian standards and regulations. Check the Australian Government’s Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, and Communications website for the latest information.
- Import Approval:
- Apply for import approval from the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, and Communications. The application form can be found on their website. You may need to provide information about the vehicle, including its make, model, year of manufacture, and compliance details.
- Arrange for the transportation of the vehicle from the USA to Australia. You can hire a shipping agent or freight forwarder specializing in vehicle transportation. They will handle the necessary documentation, shipping logistics, and customs clearance.
- Customs and Quarantine:
- Prepare the required documentation, including the bill of lading, commercial invoice, packing list, and import approval. Provide accurate and complete information to avoid delays or issues with customs clearance.
- Ensure the vehicle is thoroughly cleaned inside and out to meet Australia’s quarantine requirements. Remove any organic materials, such as soil or plant matter.
- Arrival and Customs Clearance:
- Once the vehicle arrives in Australia, it will go through customs clearance. Your shipping agent or freight forwarder can assist you with this process. You may need to pay customs duties, goods and services tax (GST), and other applicable fees.
- Compliance and Modifications:
- After customs clearance, ensure the vehicle complies with Australian standards. This may involve getting a compliance certificate from an authorized workshop or making necessary modifications to meet Australian requirements, such as changing the headlights or installing child restraint anchor points.
- Registration and Roadworthiness:
- Once the vehicle meets all compliance requirements, proceed with registering the car in your state or territory. Contact your local motor vehicle registration authority for specific details on the registration process, roadworthiness inspections, and any additional requirements.
It’s important to consult with professionals experienced in vehicle imports, such as customs brokers, shipping agents, compliance workshops, and your local motor vehicle registration authority. They can provide up-to-date information and guidance tailored to your specific circumstances, ensuring a smoother import process.
Note: The process and requirements may vary, so it’s crucial to refer to official government websites and seek professional advice for the most accurate and current information.
Australian Car Import Links
- Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, and Communications
- Vehicle Import Approval Application Form
- Biosecurity Import Conditions System